Food System Resources
by Marion Nestle
I read this book for the first time just before starting grad school for nutrition, and it forever changed the way I think about the food industry.
by Raj Patel
An indispensable, big-picture view of the global food supply, with an emphasis on peoples’ movements and the power of collective action.
by Eric Holt-Giménez
In order to truly understand how the food system works, it’s essential to learn about capitalism. Holt-Giménez unpacks this complex topic and challenges conventional wisdom with this important book.
by Michael Pollan
This modern classic illustrates how little “real” food we eat. The nutrition advice Pollan leaves us with is timeless and succinct: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
by Michael Moss
A disturbing yet fascinating inside look into the business of creating craveable snacks. Blazin Bitz were very much inspired by some of the products profiled in this book.
Food Chain Workers
- Coalition of Immokalee Workers (Florida)
- Community to Community Development (Washington)
- Dolores Huerta Foundation (United States)
- Familias Unidas por la Justicia (Washington)
- Food Chain Workers Alliance (United States)
- Food First (California)
- Trabajadores Unidos por la Justicia (Washington)
- United Farm Workers (California and United States)
- Farmworkers, COVID-19, and Our Capitalist Food System (recorded webinar, April 2020)
- Farmworker Organizing in the Face of the Pandemic (recorded webinar, June 2020)
- Food Chains (documentary about farmworkers in Immokalee, Florida)
- Dolores (tells the story of Dolores Huerta, co-founder of the first farmworkers union with Cesar Chavez)
- Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies by Seth Holmes
- “You Came Here to Suffer” (article about the H-2A farmworker program)
- The Scramble to Pick 24 Billion Cherries in 8 Weeks (NYT article about the 2020 cherry harvest)