Food System Resources
by Marion Nestle
I read this book for the first time just before starting grad school for nutrition, and it forever changed the way I think about the food industry.
by Michael Pollan
This modern classic illustrates how little “real” food we eat. The nutrition advice Pollan leaves us with is timeless and succinct: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
by Raj Patel
An indispensable, big-picture view of the global food supply, with an emphasis on peoples’ movements and the power of collective action.
by Michael Moss
A disturbing yet fascinating inside look into the business of creating craveable snacks. Blazin Bitz were very much inspired by some of the products profiled in this book.
Food Chain Workers
- Farmworkers, COVID-19, and Our Capitalist Food System (recorded webinar, April 2020)
- Farmworker Organizing in the Face of the Pandemic (recorded webinar, June 2020)
- Food Chains (documentary about farmworkers in Immokalee, Florida)
- Dolores (tells the story of Dolores Huerta, co-founder of the first farmworkers union with Cesar Chavez)
- Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies by Seth Holmes
- “You Came Here to Suffer” (article about the H-2A farmworker program)
- The Scramble to Pick 24 Billion Cherries in 8 Weeks (NYT article about the 2020 cherry harvest)