When I was brainstorming ideas for a launch event to celebrate the release of Within Every Flame, I knew I wanted to include pomegranates in some way. They are featured on the cover and appear at various points throughout the book. When I did the final read-through, I paused at a scene when a character sips on a pomegranate mocktail and thought, yes! that’s it!
The next hurdle was to find (or develop) a good recipe. I kept putting this off, figuring I’d get around to it eventually. And then one day, my husband brought home a few precious yuzu fruits. I had requested them since I’d been craving their complex citrus flavor, but didn’t have a specific plan for them. To my delight, my search turned up two fabulous mocktail recipes in the L.A. Times that solved both my yuzu AND my pomegranate dilemma!
The article includes recipes for yuzu spritzer and mulled pomegranate juice. Both have a common ingredient of rosemary-bay simple syrup, which is super easy to make and adds a nice botanical depth to both options. I thought that a pomegranate-centric remix of the yuzu spritzer might work well, and it did! So here is my tweak on the original recipe (with gratitude to the author, Genevieve Ko, for coming up with that delectable, game-changing herby syrup).
Also, I’d love for you to join me at my upcoming virtual launch event, where we will be making and enjoying these mocktails together.
For the Rosemary-Bay Simple Syrup (makes about 1 cup)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
For Each Mocktail
- 3 TB pomegranate juice
- 1 TB rosemary-bay simple syrup
- ½ cup sparkling water, to serve
Make the Rosemary-Bay Simple Syrup
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove from the heat and immediately add the rosemary and bay leaf. Cool to room temperature.
- The simple syrup can be made ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. I like to store it with a sprig of rosemary and the bay leaf so that the flavor continues to strengthen over time.
Make the Drink(s)
- In your serving vessel of choice, mix together the pomegranate juice, simple syrup and sparkling water. Taste and add more juice, syrup, and/or sparkling water to suit your preference.
- Serve immediately with a stirrer (or fresh rosemary sprig) for mixing.
This Post Has One Comment
Pingback: Virtual Launch of Within Every Flame - Alanna Peterson